There are so many food additives out there. Some are natural, and some are processed. It’s advisable to opt for the natural one as they pose no harm to the body. For today, we bring to your table locust bean gum(also known as carob bean gum), which is a natural additive. It is gotten from carob seeds. This additive is similar to gellan gum and guar gum and can be added to many food products. It’s usually added to food products such as cream cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. Well, we will have an overview of what this additive is all about. We will be looking at locust bean gum pros and cons.
For many people when cooking they always need that agent that would thicken and stabilize the food. Well, this is what this food additive is all about. It gives your food the thickness that you want. The good thing is that it is gluten-free. And at the same time, you would be able to get a chocolaty flavor after adding this additive to your meal. It gives your meal that turn-around that you want. So let’s find out some other interesting things about this food additive right here.
Locust Bean Gum
The truth is that so many people don’t even know that this food additive exists. And it comes with a whole lot of benefits. The thing though is that they also come with some cons which we will be looking at later.
So is this even good or bad for you? Well, you would be the judge of that as we go on. We will look at some of the things that you stand to benefit and some of the things it could cost you if you start using it.
Research shows that it helps deal with many of the major health problems that people have. Such as heart problems, diabetes, and digestive problems.
So how is this made? As mentioned before it is gotten from a carob tree. This is gotten from the seed. And it is known to contain some good nutrients.
In around 2.7g of this additive, you would get 9 calories, 2g of fiber, and 2g of carbs. Even though it doesn’t contain a whole lot of nutrients its fiber content is a good one. And this would help out with boosting your fiber intake.
- May help reduce cholesterol level: Some studies show that this can affect reducing the level of cholesterol in the body. It is known to help reduce the level of LDL cholesterol which is the bad cholesterol in the body. With this the risk of having certain diseases greatly reduces.
- May improve blood glucose level: Another study that was done showed that it helped reduce blood glucose levels in the body. It also affected the insulin level in the body. There was a decrease in both the level of glucose and the level of insulin. It is also believed that the soluble fiber found in this affects maintaining the blood glucose level.
- Helps treat GERD: GERD is gastroesophageal reflux disease. A study was carried out and it showed that children that were given carob bean gum together with their milk had fewer regurgitations. So this means that it affects reducing the symptoms that come with GERD in children.
- Helps relief diarrhea: Research shows that this additive is effective for dealing with diarrhea. It influenced people that helped relieve diarrhea. The children that were used in this study had a 45% reduced time length of diarrhea. So it was concluded that this can be effective for relieving symptoms that come with diarrhea.
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer: Because of the amount of fiber that it contains it is believed this would affect dealing with colon cancer. Some studies have been carried out and it shows that there is a reduced risk with consumption of this additive.
Cons of Locust Bean Gum
This additive is safe for people that consume it moderately. But when taken in high doses it is quite toxic to the body. The thing though is that an animal study was carried out and it was found out that when taking for a long time it poses no harm.
Another thing is that a study was carried out and it showed that this carob bean can interfere with the absorption of nutrients. When this happens there would be a deficiency of many of the nutrients. And this would lead to many other conditions in the body.
Also, there has been a study that shows that this additive slows down gastric emptying. And this indicates that there could be a slow movement to the digestion site. So the food would move slowly from the stomach down to the small intestine. For people that have gut problems, this might not be the best option for you.
Another thing that can happen is being allergic to it. If there are any signs of allergy, please stop using it. If the allergic reactions are quite serious, you must see a doctor right away.
The truth is that there are many things that you can use this food additive. And the benefits also seem great. But even at that, you have to be extra careful. Make sure you consume it in small amounts. If you have problems with your gut, then this additive is a no-no for you. Also, make sure that you stop taking it if there are any unwanted side effects. This would help you to enjoy the benefits that come with carob bean gum. That’s all we have to share with you concerning carob bean gum pros and cons. And we hope can now answer if this is good for you or not.